Saturday, March 13, 2010

Attitude of Appreciation

“IF YOU ARE NOT HAPPY WITH WHAT YOU ALREADY HAVE, YOU WILL NOT BE HAPPY WITH MORE!”

I found myself saying this to my kids today. I took them to a store and both of them started in on how it wasn't "fair" that they didn't get something. I talked to them about how there are a lot of children that didn't have as many toys as them and how they would feel if they knew that they had toys sitting at our house not being used or played with. Well...I am sure you can see how it started to backfire on me right there. Brooklynn decided maybe we should give away all the food in our pantry, or all our socks, the list went on. I explained that we "will" eat our food, and yes maybe we do have too many socks, but we will wear them until they have holes. Then she said but I "will" play with all of my toys someday.
We live in a society where it is not thought of twice to have a closet filled with clothes, and then still go shopping for more outfits. Or a toy box overflowing and getting a cart full of more toys for a birthday/Christmas. So I am thinking we need to re-evaluate I want my kids to still be kids and have a great childhood, but I want them to have a heart of compassion and a heart that is eager to give!
Please don't get me wrong, my kids are great, and they care about people. But I want them to realize that there is a bigger picture to everything. No I don't want them to be so grown up that they don't enjoy the time they have as kids. I want them to feel blessed by what they have and bless others by what they can do and give!

Every man shall give as he is able, according to the blessing of the Lord your God which He has given you. Deuteronomy 16: 17

No comments: